• Facebook - White Circle
  • Instagram - White Circle
  • TripAdvisor - White Circle
  • YouTube - White Circle

© 2019 Shed47 Railway Restoration Group. Designed by Aidan Robertson.

HISTORY

For a full, in-depth history, please visit our station building and museum at Lathalmond Halt, and the Captured In Time exhibition at Lathalmond Wartime.
1864
The Railways
In 1864 The West of Fife Mineral Railway branches open, a line from Whytemyre Junction in Dunfermline to Steelend - with the Gask Branch from Gask Junction at Dunduff to Gask Siding - and a short lived onwards connection to Lassodie on the Kelty Branch of the same railway.
 
Sometime after, narrow gauge tramways were built from Lathalmond Quarry to a dedicated siding on the Gask Branch, and from Roscobie Quarry to Gask Siding.
PRIOR TO 1864
Coal & Lime
Various coal pits & limestone quarries established in the vicinity of Lathalmond. A wagonway extension from the northern end of the Elgin Wagonway reaches close to Lathalmond.
1864
1941
RNSD Lathalmond
In 1941 construction started of the Royal Naval Stores & Transit Depot. Built as duplicate stores for Rosyth Dockyard, the idea was that if the Dockyard suffered any damage during an air raid, it could be quickly restocked by rail from Lathalmond.
 
We have a collection of photos taken prior to and during construction in 1941 and 1942 showing the empty green valley of 1940 quickly being built over.
 
The tramway from Lathalmond quarry and its siding seems to have been out of use by this time.
1941
1948
1951
1948-51
Rascobie Tramway
Rascobie tramway ceased operation, the limestone was being transported by lorry instead. This was probably the last use of Gask  Siding and the Gask branch beyond RNSD Lathalmond.
1951
Branch beyond Gask Junction to Steelend closed. Trains only travel as far as RNSD Lathalmond now.
1971
Closure of Railways
RNSD Lathalmond ceases to use the railways, resulting in the closure of the internal railway system & the branch line serving it.
 
The branch is truncated back to Lilliehill Junction in Townhill, where trains would still serve Townhill Power Station until 1976.
1993
Lathalmond Closes
As part of the post-cold-war contraction of defence sites, Lathalmond closes in 1993.
1971
1993
1995
About half the RNSD site is bought by The Scottish Vintage Bus Museum which then moves its entire expanding collection from its previous site at Whitburn.
1997
A group of Railway Preservationists discover the Loco Shed and Shed47 Railway Restoration Group is born.